Thursday, September 25, 2008

Why Not Real Stories?

Humpty Dumpty fell off the wall....but what kind of life did he live before he fell off....and why was he sitting up there in the first place? And why are fairy tales, generally, so happy. We all know they're happy, because it's a fairy tale, and I see now as a very much needed escape from real life. I went to a funeral today, obviously sad and had a huge effect on me. He was only 22, already accomplished so much, and was now gone. It's in no way fair. Where are all the kings horses and all the kings men to come and put him together again. Where is the nasty sea witch to cut his siblings hair in order for his life to come back. Where is the fairy god mother to tink her wand on his family and the church filled with mostly young adults all under 25....where is she to make everything better? I suppose there is a fairy tale somewhere hidden in this mess, although I cant think of one now. I had a huge feeling come over me, which often times does when people around you are sad....you want to make them happy....should I have ran to the front of the church, whipped out my large orange fairy tale book and read them a story with a happy ending? Because fairy tales heal all, they help everything, I should have. Maybe the strangeness of it all would have at least taken their minds off of why we were all there. Why don't parents read their children real stories...once upon a time there was a young prince who died, his family and friends were sad and confused, they went home, went back to school, went back to work. They will always remember him. The end. That's not what people want to believe, that's not what I want to believe. And all lived happily ever after! The end. That's what we all deserve.

No comments: