Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Do NOT talk to Strainers!



When my brother Cahle and I were youngsters, my parents had a very effective way of disciplining us. They didn't do it all themselves though, they brought the "crusty old man" in as their secret weapon to scare us into listening them!!


At the dinner table my brother and I decided to boycott eating what was for dinner, mostly our vegetables, and we sat there, and sat there, and sat there (meow meow meow meow meow....just kidding Dr. Sexson) Eventually my mother gave up the threats of no bed time story (ironic?) and desert, and resorted to our worst fear as children. She went to the phone..."if you guys wont finish your dinner like good kids, then you don't deserve to live in this nice house with us, you deserve to live with the crusty old man...he wont make you eat your dinner...would you like that? Ill just call him to come and pick you two up....go pack your pillow, while I make the call" She would dial, meanwhile the children at the table were big eyed and silent....."hello....crusty old man, Cassi and Cahle are not listening to me, you would like to have them?" Cahle being the youngest, 6 at this time, started to cry and on the spot....you know, those real big crocodile tears that you were real, me on the other hand...I stayed strong, I didn't cry, but I ate that whole plate of cold broccoli in about 30 seconds and thanked her for dinner....she called the crusty old man back and told him never mind, she would keep us for a while longer. I can't begin to explain how frickin scared I was of this person, to be honest....it still might work!


No comments: